The Karnataka Jesuit Province, originally the "The Mangalore Mission" today comprises the whole of the territory of Karnataka State. Started in 1878 with an international group of Jesuits from Italy and Germany, in a small town of Mangalore, the Jesuits continue to follow in the footsteps of the early Fathers and Brothers who gave themselves to the service of faith, education, health, language and happiness. They made our land richer by establishing educational institutions, hospitals, parishes, retreat houses, etc. The Jesuits in Karnataka continue to strive and to live the spirituality in word and action taught by the founder St Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556) which inspired the first Fathers and Brothers who set their foot on our soil. The founding Fathers and Brothers even though being foreigners not only learnt our mother tongues Konkani, Tulu, Kannada, Tamil, Hindi, etc., but also ate our food and integrated themselves in our society as any one of us.
"The mission territory inherited by the Jesuits from the Carmelites and called Mangalore Mission comprised then what would later constitute the dioceses of Mangalore and Calicut and later still Kannur too. Having laboured in this territory for nearly three-quarters of a century they would disengage themselves from a part of it called Malabar and move over to the rest of Karnataka and even to North East." Fr Devadatta Kamath, SJ The author of "The Burning Bush: The History of the Karnataka Province."
Their labours, both in their successes and failures, spread through 142 years are what this web blog contains.